background

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

5 weeks- not too bad. . .

Too cool for words!
One month old
Clayton and his very proud sisters

Right after bath time. If you look close, his hair is very curly.

It's been 5 weeks since our new little addition joined our lives. I know it's really pathetic that I have not posted about his birth, but I figure 5 weeks is really good for me- the world's WORST blogger.
Anyway, Clayton Bo Haroldsen was born on January 4th, 2011, at 7:05 pm, 6lb 5oz and 19in. He was exactly 4 weeks early. He caught us, to say the least, by complete surprise! I had everything planned. We were going to pick my mom up on the 8th (she was at my sister's). She was then going to have a nice quiet week at my house helping get things ready and basking in the joy of a quiet house. I was going to work until at least the 15th and then take the last week of the semester off to prepare for baby. My plan was to have him around my mom's birthday (18th) at the earliest.
Clayton had other plans. Around 2 am on the 4th I woke up thinking I'd maybe had a slight "accident." Nothing major, so I went back to bed. I then had another "accident" as soon as I fell back to sleep. I thought that was really odd, but I was 8 months pregnant. Normal, right? I stayed up on the couch for a while to make sure it was nothing serious. A couple HGTV shows later, and I went back to bed. I was just drifting off and it happened again. I woke Josh up and told him either my water broke or I was having some serious issues. He got up, went to the bathroom, and returned to bed. I returned to the couch. I kept busy on the computer and watching HGTV/DIY. Josh got up and went to work. I still wasn't positive it was my water, but was beginning to think maybe I was in denial. I got the girls fed, dressed, and packed for a few nights. I packed my bag and Josh's bag. I called my mom who, of course, told me to go to the hospital. Josh finally thought maybe he should check in around 10. I told him to get home. We headed to the hospital with the girls.
Thank goodness for the BEST sister-in-law and brother EVER!! Daniel agreed to meet us at the hospital to take the girls to his house. Josh dropped me off and I walked myself to labor and delivery. The nurses thought I was there to visit someone. I think my calmness caught them off guard! Josh switched the girls to Daniel's car and they went to spend some fun time with Aunt Jen. Devin took my mom to meet them there.
We were trying for a VBAC, but Clayton had other plans in mind. He just didn't want to cooperate. After 4-5 hours of pitocin he decided he'd had enough. Repeat c-section it was. After he was born all seemed fine, but then they took him to the nursery. He never returned. He'd developed pneumonia and had to stay in the NICU. He then developed severe jaundice (due to a blood incompatability) and had to be under the lights. He was in the NICU for 8 VERY long days. It was horrible! I missed all three of my babies for those 8 days!
He is now home and thriving. He loves to sleep and does so for over 20 hours per day (sorry Christina!). When he's not sleeping he's eating. Very little socializing on his part. I think he sleeps so much to escape the constant "care" of his sisters! He's still very little (newborn clothes), but growing every day. And, yes, that is really his hair. It was over his ears and collar at birth.

No comments: