background

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spring?

Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers. Socrates
Is it spring yet? I mean, seriously, can the snow/cold/wind leave and the sunshine come? I am so sick of winter that I could (and have been known to) scream!!!!!! It doesn't help that Andelynn is also a little winter crazed and has a serious case of summer fever. She routinely puts on her sandals with a pair of capris and insists that she is going to go outside and play with her dog, NOW! She also expounds on what she is going to do when it's summer: swim, go on picnics, ride bikes, swim . . . She is so desperate to swim that she wears her swimming suit in the bath tub so she can pretend. We also had to pick up our picnic basket from my grandparents' house so that it's ready to go whenever winter leaves. The rate we're going, I'm thinking July!
Carys is sick and miserable. She started coughing the night we got home from Ashlyn's birthday party (beginning of February) and hasn't stopped since. She started going down hill last week and was even running a fever of 105.5 at one point. We took her to the doctor on Thursday and found out she has ear infections. Now her antibiotics are gone, but her misery is not. She was running a low grade fever tonight, so we'll keep watching her and if she starts getting worse we'll have to take her in again. I guess this is what we get for going 9+ months without anything more than a cold!
School is, well, school. Let's just say that the teachers are counting down to summer vacation with more enthusiasm than most of the students. It's been a long year and certain, um. . , state "leaders" are making all of us dread next year. I really think that anyone who has the job of passing laws about state/national tests should be required to take them themselves. I wonder if certain governors and state superintendents would test proficient? It would be entertaining to find out! It may affect their opinions on how important and essential funding education is. I have also discovered that children are LAZY!!! I know this makes me sound really old, and that adults have been making the, "When I was younger . . ." speech since the beginning of time, but children are seriously lacking motivation of any sort. We are in an instant gratification society and it is not a good thing. I just get tired of explaining that reading/writing/history/math/science are essential and mommy and daddy can't get them out of everything forever.

1 comment:

The McIntire Family said...

Thanks for the post Heather---you are beginning to rant like me. ;-) I'm so glad I'm not the only one that vents on her blog. Hope Carys is feeling better and if you need "summer" come on over. Pocatello has yet to have a winter. Luv ya